Developed by Chef Ming Tsai
- In a sauté pan, add 2 tablespoons of either grape seed or canola oil and add onion or shallots. Keep heat on low and allow onion/shallots to caramelize. Set aside to cool. Once cool, finely dice.
- In a large pot, heat water. Once boiling, add enough salt to make the water taste like salty seawater. Add the watercress and cook for 30 seconds-1 minute. Strain and place immediately into a large bowl filled with ice water to shock. Once cooled, drain and dry the watercress. Separate the stems from the leaves and finely dice. Save 4-6 pieces of watercress whole for garnish.
- In a large bowl, combine the onion, artichokes, watercress, mayonnaise and gruyere. Spoon into a skillet.
- Preheat an oven to 350F.
- In a small bowl, combine the breadcrumbs and the extra virgin olive oil. Top the skillet with the panko and place in the oven for 20 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
- Serve with whole wheat pita chips.
We’d love to hear your thoughts, ideas and comments on this recipe.