Watercress & Chickpea Burgers
Recipe by Julie Andrews, The Gourmet RD
Spicy Garlic Aioli
To Assemble Burgers
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a cast iron skillet or large non-stick skillet to medium heat. Add onion and saute 3-4 minutes, until soft. Stir in watercress and garlic and saute 1-2 minutes, until watercress is wilted and garlic is fragrant.
- Transfer onion and watercress mixture into the bowl of a food processor. Add chickpeas, breadcrumbs, eggs, lemon, chives, salt and pepper. Process until a smooth paste forms. Remove blade from food processor, then form 4 equal-sized patties. Place on a plate, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- To make the aioli, whisk together yogurt, mayo, chili garlic sauce, garlic and a pinch of salt and pepper in a glass bowl. Fit it with a lid and refrigerate.
- To cook burgers, heat remaining tablespoon of olive oil in the same skillet to medium-high heat. Place burgers in the hot oil and cook 4-5 minutes on each side, until each side has a crispy brown crust.
- Serve burgers on whole grain bun with avocado, tomato, watercress and aioli.
We’d love to hear your thoughts, ideas and comments on this recipe.